Charalobos Pothoulakis, MD
Director of Research, UCLA Center for Inflammatory Bowel Diseases; Professor, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Digestive Diseases/Gastroenterology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA Address 675 Charles E. Young Dr. South MRL RM# 1240, Box 957019 Los Angeles CA 90095 workPhone: (310) 825-9104workEmail: firstname.lastname@example.orgINTERNET
Dr. Pothoulakis is the Eli and Edythe Broad Professor of Medicine at the Department of Medicine at UCLA. He is the Director of the IBD Research Center, and the Chair of Research at the Division of Digestive Diseases at UCLA.. He is currently an Associate Editor for the American Journal of Physiology, Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology and a member of the founding Editorial Board of the new AGA Journal Cellular and Molecular Gastroenterology and Hepatology. He is also the Chair of the Regulatory Peptides, Cell Signaling and Molecular Biology Section of the AGA. He is an author of over 185 original articles and numerous reviews and book chapters. His research program is primarily focused on the role of neuropeptides and hormones in several disease states, including Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Dr. Pothoulakis has been contributing to the Clostridium difficile field since its inception and published over 100 manuscripts in mechanisms of action of this pathogen and its toxins. He also works on mechanisms of probiotics in intestinal inflammation and he is one of the pioneers in this field. Dr. Pothoulakis’ research projects have been supported by multiple grants from the National Institutes of Health with no interruption over the past 25 years, as well as by grants from the Broad Foundation, the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation and several pharmaceutical companies.
Relevant Recent Publications
- Kokkotou E, Moss AC, Torres D, Karagiannides I, Cheifetz A, Liu S, O’Brien M, Maratos-Flier E, Pothoulakis C. Melanin-Concentrating Hormone as a mediator of intestinal inflammation. Proc Natl Acad Sci (USA) 2008; 105:10613-8 PMCID: PMC2492477
- Savidge TC, Urvil P, Oezguen N, Kausar A, Choudhury A, Acharya V, Pinchuk I, Torres AG, English RD, Wiktorowicz JE, Leoffelholz M, Kumar R, Shi L, Nie W, Feng H, Braun W, Herman B, Stamler JS, Pothoulakis C. Host S-nitrosylation inhibits clostridial small molecule-activated glucosylating toxins. Nature Medicine; 2011; 17(9):1136-41. PMCID: PMC3277400
- Koon HW, Ho S, Hing TC, Cheng M, Chen X, Ichikawa Y, Kelly CP, Pothoulakis C. Fidaxomicin inhibits Clostridium difficile toxin A–mediated enteritis in the mouse ileum. Antimicr Agents Chemother 2014; 58(8):4642-50.
- Chen X, Fruehauf J, Katchar KK, Mustafa N, Koon HW, Xu H, Zhao D, Kokkotou E, Goldsmith JD, Pothoulakis C, Kelly CP. Saccharomyces boulardii inhibits EGF receptor signaling and intestinal tumor growth in Apc(min) mice. Gastroenterology 2009; 137:914-23
- Pothoulakis C. Review Article: anti-inflammatory mechanisms of action of Saccharomyces boulardii. Alim Pharmacol Ther, 2009 ; 30(8):826-33.
Submit changes for this bio